EATS: Saint Simons Food & Spirits Festival
Saint Simons Food & Spirits Festival Announces Line-up for Fall Event Celebrates the Bounty of Georgia’s Golden Isles and benefits Hospice of the Golden Isles October 1 to October 6, 2013
Charleston, S.C. – This unique festival returns with events running Tuesday, October 1 through Sunday, October 6, 2013, celebrating the culinary culture and artistic lifestyles of the Golden Isles. Highlighting both local and regional chefs and restaurants, events will feature celebrity chefs, mixologists, talent and vendors from around the Southeast. Guest chefs, mixologists and talent participating in this year’s festival include:
- Linton Hopkins; James Beard Best Chef Southeast 2012, Food & Wine Magazine Best New Chefs 2009, chef/owner Restaurant Eugene, Holeman & Finch Public House, H & F Bottle Shop and H & F Bread in Atlanta Ga.
- Jimmy Hagood; Pitmaster of BlackJack Barbecue & Food for the Southern Soul with his Big Red Rig from Charleston, S.C.
- Tiffani Faison; Pitmaster of Sweet Cheeks Q in Boston, Mass., she was a finalist on Season 1 of Top Chef and was voted fan favorite on 2011′s Top Chef All Stars.
- Justin and Jonathan Fox; Pitmasters and owners of Fox Bros. Bar-B-Q in Atlanta.
- Hallie Arnold; “People’s Choice” at the 2013 Charleston Wine + Food Mixologist Competition, she is the mixologist at The Grocery in Charleston, S.C.
- Arianne Fielder; “Mixtress” at Seven Lamps in Atlanta, Ga., she was named the runner-up to “Atlanta’s Best Bartender” in the 2011 Barcraft competition at Taste of Atlanta and in 2012 won first place in the Berentzen competition.
- Jackson Holland; Mixologist and Sommelier at The Cocktail Club in Charleston, S.C., he is the 2011 winner of the Garden & Gun “Made in the South” award for Charleston Bold and Spicy Bloody Mary Mix.
- Carrie Morey; Chef/Owner and Cookbook author of Callie’s Charleston Biscuits Company, Carrie has appeared on the NBC Today Show and The Food Network. Carrie was chosen as one of Martha Stewart’s “Dreamers into Doers.”
- Libbie Summers; Award winning blogger, culinary producer, food & prop stylist. Author of The Whole Hog Cookbook.
- Gena Neely Knox; Owner of Fire & Flavor gourmet items and cooking products. She has a popular blog and has authored 3 popular books: Gourmet My Way, Southern My Way: Simple Recipes, Fresh Flavors, and the new release, Southern My Way: Food & Family.
- Carolyn O’Neil, RD; Nutrition expert, award winning food journalist and TV personality. Author of The Dish on Eating Healthy and Being Fabulous!
Events new to the festival lineup this year are the Sip, Taste & Tour at the Pier Village, Food & Spirits Trivia at Tipsy’s, A Study in Shrimp panel discussion, The Maker’s Mark BBQ Pro-Am presented by Sea Island and Southern Soul BBQ featuring pitmasters and golf pros, Dinner & a Movie, wine, spirit and mixology classes, specialty activities for kids at the Shrimp Net presented by Southern Soul Barbeque and Kids Cooking Classes presented by Southeast Georgia Health System, Wolfson Children’s Hospital. Last year’s anchor events, Friday Night Festival Feast presented by McGinty-Gordon, The Market presented by Viola’s Market, The Local Flavors Tasting Tent presented by Sea Pak, and the Spiritual Sunday brunch will once again be on the roster.
The Festival benefits Hospice of the Golden Isles, the only community-formed, non-profit hospice serving the five county area. As the winner of the 2013 Allie Award for “Best Public Fair or Festival,” an Atlanta based organization recognizing special events, this festival is not to be missed.
About the 2nd annual Saint Simons Food & Spirits Festival
The Saint Simons Food & Spirits Festival celebrates the bounty of Georgia’s Golden Isles while raising dollars and awareness for Hospice of the Golden Isles. The event features culinary talent, musical performances, local, coastal cuisine and artisan and craft libations. For more information on the Festival, visit www.saintsimonsfoodandspirits.com. For more information on Hospice of the Golden Isles, visit www.hospice.me.